We are now in the last stages of preparation for this year’s British Association of Urologists (BAUS) Annual Meeting which takes place from 17th-20th June 2013 at Manchester Central.
This year’s meeting features a long list of distinguished International speakers including the following:
- Professor Elspeth McDougall, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
- Dr Paul Turek, The Turek Clinic, San Francisco, USA
- Professor Simon Horenblas, The Netherlands Cancer Institute, Amsterdam
- Dr Gerard Henry, Regional Urology, Shreveport, USA
- Professor Dirk De Ridder, University Hospitals KU Leuven, Belgium
- Professor Roger Dmochowski, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, USA
- Professor Benjamin R. Lee, Tulane University School of Medicine, New Orleans, USA
- Associate Professor Declan Murphy, Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre, Melbourne, Australia. Associate Editor (Social Media), BJUI.
- Professor Glenn Preminger, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, USA
- Professor Augustine Mallya, KCMC, Tanzania
- Professor Markus Graefen, Martini-Clinic, Prostate Cancer Center, University Hospital Hamburg-Eppendorf, Germany
- Dr Arthur Grollman, Stony Brook University, New York, USA
- Professor Martin Gleave, University of British Columbia, Canada
- Professor Chandru Sundaram, Indiana University Health, Indianapolis, USA
- Dr A Brent Eastman, President of the American College of Surgeons
- Associate Professor John W Davis, Associate Editor, Urologic Oncology, BJU International & The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, USA
- Dr Quoc-Dien Trinh, Associate Editor, BJU International & University of Montreal Health Center, Canada
- Professor Ramakrishna Venkatesh, University of Kentucky, Lexington, USA
These will all join with the leading figures in British urology to overview all of the hot topics in urology this year. We also have the best up and coming urologists presenting their research in our poster and plenary sessions throughout the week. The BAUS Office of Education have put together a very busy programme with 23 Teaching and Skills Courses running throughout BAUS week.
It all kicks off on Monday 17th with the Academic Urology subsection, the Annual Meetings of the Section of Andrology and the Section of FNUU (Female, Neurological and Urodynamic Urology) and the BJUI session for the Best Paper at BAUS 2013 10.00 to 11.00. All the subsections have an excellent programme with a tremendously varied agenda throughout the first day of the meeting.
Highlights for Tuesday include:
- Point counterpoint sessions on working with industry in the morning and current urological conundrums in the afternoon
- “Optimising the human mind” – BAUS guest lecture from Steve Peters Consultant Psychiatrist who works with the national British cycling team
- Leading Lights session: Tuesday pm, a chance for the up and coming scientific trainees to show their wares.
Wednesday highlights include:
- The Urology Foundation lecture to be given by John Kelly 12.00-12.30. Bladder cancer State-of-the-Art
- Prostate cancer update on national audit and NICE guidelines Wednesday am
- SURG/TUF session on Wednesday afternoon concentrating on simulation and fellowships
- Prostate Cancer UK guest lecture given by Martin Gleave 15.30 Wednesday
Thursday highlights include:
- BAUS/AUA joint programme on minimally invasive renal surgery followed by the RCS Edinburgh Inaugural Guest lecture from Brent Eastman, President of the American College of Surgeons
- Followed by a BJUI sub-plenary session and BJUI guest lecture all on the Thursday morning.
- Final session will be IBUS with four high profile speakers from the USA to finish of the meeting by 14.00
We are also presenting six satellite sessions throughout the week varying from prostate cancer, erectile dysfunction through to functional urology. Full details of the programme are at www.baus.org.uk/AGMpages/programme.
In addition, BAUS presents a number of prestigious awards each year to recognise individuals from within the UK and overseas who have made important contributions to urology and to recognise outstanding achievements. Here is a run down of awards to be presented during the upcoming Annual Meeting:
St Peter’s Medal 2013.
Citation by: Mr Mark Speakman, Vice-President of BAUS
Presented to: Mr Malcolm Lucas, Morriston Hospital, Swansea
St Paul’s Medal 2013
Citation by: Mr Adrian Joyce, President of BAUS
Presented to: Professor Glenn Preminger, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, USA
BAUS Gold Medal 2013
Citation by: Mr Jonathan Ramsay, Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust, London
Presented to: Mr Justin Vale, Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust, London
Karl Storz Harold Hopkins Golden Telescope Award
Presented to: Mr Paul Jones, Morriston Hospital, Swansea
BAUS Certificates of Distinction
Mrs Laura Knight, GlaxoSmithKline
Mr Richard Lawrence, Olympus Medical
Keith Yeates Memorial Medal and The Shackman Prize
Presented by: Professor Sam McClinton, Aberdeen Royal Infirmary
On behalf of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
Presented to: Miss Tina Rashid, University College Hospital, London
The SURG/STORZ Silver Cystoscope Award to the UK Trainer of the Year
Introduction and presentation by Mr Ben Grey, Central Manchester NHS Foundation Trust
Presented to Mr Kieran O’Flynn, Salford Royal Foundation Trust
We will also be tweeting out highlights and information from our new Twitter account @BAUSurology. Follow the hashtag #baus13 for latest news and highlights and thanks to the BJUI Social Media team for helping with our social media activity. We look forward to welcoming you to Manchester!
Mr Andy Thorpe, Urologist, Honorary Secretary British Association of Urological Surgeons, Scientific Convenor of BAUS Annual Scientific Meeting
BAUS Honorary Secretary Mr Andy Thorpe and BAUS President Mr Adrian Joyce preview some of the highlights of the forthcoming BAUS Annual Meeting
Comments on this blog are now closed.