Following the inaugural BJUI Social Media Awards presented at the 2013 AUA Annual Meeting in San Diego, this year’s awards moved across the Atlantic to the EAU Annual Congress in Stockholm. Both of these conferences play host to intense social media activity and it is fitting that the BJUI Social Media Awards gets to acknowledge the Uro-Twitterati on both continents! Individuals and organisations were recognised across 16 categories including the top gong, The BJUI Social Media Award 2014, awarded to an individual or organization who has made an outstanding contribution to social media in urology in the preceding year. The 2013 Award was won by the all-conquering Urology Match portal which continues to innovate in social and digital media. There had been much anticipation and speculation ahead of time about who would win the top and bottom gongs, and whether or not the King of Twitter, Ben Davies @daviesbj, would be acknowledged
In keeping with the informality of the 2013 BJUI Social Media Awards (held in an Irish Bar in San Diego), this year’s ceremony was held in the Acoustic Bar of the Scandic Grand Central in beautiful Stockholm. Fifty of the World’s leading social media enthusiasts in urology gathered to meet up in person and to see who would be recognised. Yours truly once again played the role of MC wearing my hat of BJUI Social Media Editor, ably assisted by Matt Bultitude, BJUI Website Associate Editor, and Editor-in-Chief Prokar Dasgupta.
The full list of awardees, along with some examples of “best practice” in the urology social media-sphere can be found on this Prezi (https://prezi.com/iukizmhni9_w/bjui-social-media-awards-2014/). The winners are also listed here:
- Most Read Blog@BJUI – The Melbourne Consensus Statement – accepted by Matt Cooperberg on behalf of the authors
- Most Commented Blog@BJUI – Dr Rajiv Singal, Toronto, Canada
- Best Blog Comment – Dr John Davis, Houston, USA
- Best BJUI Tube Video – Blue Light cystoscopy RCT – accepted by Shamim Khan on behalf of colleagues at Guy’s Hospital
- Best Urology Conference for Social Media – EAU Annual Congress, Stockholm 2014
- Best Social Media Campaign – Stacy Loeb, for her birthday party campaign
- “Did You Really Tweet That” Award – Ben Davies, Pittsburgh, USA
- Best Urology App – jointly awarded to BJUI (Matt Bultitude) and European Urology (Cathy Pierce) for new iPad apps
- Innovation Award 2014 – @UroQuiz – Nathan Lawrentschuk, Melbourne, Australia (accepted by Paul Anderson)
- #UroJC Award – Vincent Misral, Paris, France
- Best Selfie – Mike Leveridge, Toronto, Canada
- Best Urology Facebook Site – American Urological Association (accepted by Matt Cooperberg)
- Best Urology Journal for Social Media – European Urology (Jim Catto)
- Best Urology Organisation – Urological Society of Australia & New Zealand (David Winkle)
- The BJUI Social Media Award 2014 – Stacy Loeb, New York, USA
BJUI Editor Prokar Dasgupta presenting awards to Jim Catto, Matt Cooperberg and Stacy Loeb
Many of the Award winners were present to collect their awards themselves, including the omnipresent Stacy Loeb who was awarded our top gong to huge applause.
A special thanks to our outstanding BJUI team at BJUI in London, Scott Millar and Helena Kasprowicz, who manage our social media and website activity and who were present on the night.
For more pictures from the evening, please visit BJUI Associate Editor John Davis’ Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/jdhdavis/sets/72157643916525665/ page.
Declan Murphy is Associate Editor for Social Media at BJUI. He is a urologist in Melbourne, Australia
Follow Declan on Twitter @declangmurphy and BJUI @BJUIjournal